Monday, December 3, 2012

The Little Blue Box - Quick & Easy

I love the distressed look!

This was my first “reclaimed” project.  I found this kind of beat up, dirty, little wooden box 8"x5"x12" and immediately got a visual picture in my mind of it being used as a cute container to store or display things.  

A good power washing left it nice and clean and I decided to leave the nails sticking out of the top to give it some character.

DIY tip:  If you're going to power wash anything wooden, be sure to let it dry a couple of days before sanding, paintng, or staining.



Next I gave it a coat of a pretty, turquoise blue paint and let it dry for 24 hours.  Latex paint actually dries quicker than this but I like to make sure it’s  really dry before glazing.

To achieve the aged look, I dipped a clean, cotton cloth into my can of Olympic Burned Raisin color glaze and working in small sections, used long, wiping strokes to apply a thin coat of glaze. I immediately wiped off just the excess glaze with a clean, damp cloth.  Take off as much as you want to achieve the look you like.  I let the glaze color pool a bit more in the corner sections, on the edges, and around the nail heads to give it a more aged look.
Oh, and be sure to wear rubber gloves for this step :)

After the glaze dried for 24 hours I used a fine grade sand paper to sand the areas I wanted to look distressed.  Not too much, just until the wood showed through.

Hmm, I liked the box but was thinking
 it needed a little PIZZAZZ!  
Luckily, I found a medium sized glass door knob
in my stash and chose a big, shiny 
silver bolt to secure it.  

Wow! This was exactly what it needed!


Here’s the completed Little Blue Box.  

How cute is this?!





This was a fun and easy project
 that a beginning DIY'er could do.


Well, off to work on another project. . .
My gate is always open, Jeri

You might also like this post 
We Love America - Rustic American Flag Project












 







Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute Jeri girl...looks great with the picture too!! This is my very favorite color ever! You need to add the like box to your posts. More people will come....signed your loving mentor☺
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Pride! Thanks - the Little Blue Box went to a loving home in Northern Indiana :) I'll figure out how to install a Like box right away - appreciate your help! Come and see me, my gate is always open, Jeri

    ReplyDelete