Wednesday, November 28, 2012

American Flag Project



We Love America



Available as a Special Order item  Rustic Metal American Flag
When I came across some pieces of galvanized ribbed roofing this summer, my intention was to use the metal for birdhouse roofs, which I may at a later date, but before the birdhouse project ever flew (I know, bad pun) I saw some pictures of rustic American flags, and thought, I can do that. 

 The timing was just right too, as the birthdays of my two sons were fast approaching.  It’s sometimes hard to figure out what boys would like as birthday presents but I thought sure a flag to hang in their garage or workshop would be just the right gift. I like to give handmade gifts if I can, so I got busy and started creating.


The pieces of roofing were about 7 feet long, so I cut the metal with tin snips (ouch) into a rectangular shape 24” X 30”.  (Dear Santa, Please bring me a Dremel saw for Christmas.)  The roofing had been painted with galvanized paint and over time had worn giving it a lumpy, rustic look which I loved.  The screw holes and rust added more character, don’t you think?

Ignore the Christmas tablecloth, it’s really summertime. :) I penciled off the area for the star and determined I would use 2 ribs for every flag stripe and leave the rusty strip at the top unpainted.  Hmm, what would I use for stars?  
I like to keep things simple so I decided ONE star would work just fine.  I always go to “my stockpile” to see if I have anything that will work for a project before I buy.  I found two wooden stars I had bought at a sale that couldn’t have fit better for the star section.  I didn’t even remember I had them!  Great find a second time. . .lol!
I painted the star and all the white stripes first, then the red stripes, and lastly the blue. 

DIY Tip:
Be careful not to overlap the paint too much on the stripes because you will have to let it dry and paint a second coat to cover the other color paint.  There was no way to paint a perfectly straight line because of the old lumps of paint on the metal but this actually worked in favor of giving it a more rustic look. 

Next, I glazed the entire flag and star to dull the paint colors.  The glaze pooled next to every lump and crevice so I wiped off just the excess and couldn’t have loved the look any more.  It was amazing to see the change in color and texture!

Construction adhesive was used to adhere the star to the metal and holes were drilled at the top to attach the hanging wire.  
The wire was another great find!  A whole spool of electric fence wire for $5!





 
Here’s the completed flag! 

My favorite project so far and the nicest part was that the boys really liked them!

I sell this flag on Craigslist as a special order.  
Each flag looks a little different because of the crinkles in the metal. 
Go to Craigslist.org/Indianapolis and search for
Picket Patch Reclaimed Treasures.

God Bless America and you!   

My gate is always open, Jeri








Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations girlfriend. You did it! Your very first post and your blog looks lovely!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete